Face XP is one of the three different ways to earn experience points in Sleeping Dogs. The higher the Wei's Face Level, the more charismatic and respected he is. Thus you have access to higher quality clothing and higher class vehicles. Note:
'Face XP' is not relevant to 'Face Meter'. The higher the Face Level , the more damages Wei can deal with.
Look out for the 'Favor' missions (yellow spots with 'a person' symbol on map) scattered throughout the streets of Hong Kong. They are missions given by civilians. Completing these various tasks will increase the Face XP progress bar.
Fighting (e.g. Tournaments), racing and even seducing are also (pretty) good ways to earn Face XP. You can check out your map (and phone contacts) to spot the places-to-be to do so. Note: fighting thugs on 'Drug Bust' sites is also rewarded with Face XP.
Accessories such glasses, chains, bracelets and watches can give substantial Face XP Bonuses when cumulatively worn...
You begin the game at Face Level 1 with a first perk : "Face Meter Unlocked". Each time the Face level progress bar is full, Wei reaches the next Face Level with its perk plus higher quality clothing and higher classes vehicles.
Note: Dai Lo is the 10th (and the last) perk to be unlocked (Face Level 10); it applies a 40% Discount Bonus in all official shops. However when Face Level 5 is reached, a 20% Discount Bonus (in addition with 'Toughness' perk) is applied; both of these Face level bonuses are cumulable with a 'Business' outfit one (Bargain Hunter, All Business and Master Negotiator). A good opportunity to make good deals! But be careful: the Face Level 5 Discount Bonus vanishes as soon as Face Level 6 will be reached!
- Face Meter Unlocked: Filling this meter in combat intimidates enemies and regains lost health.
- Fine Food & Drink: the regenerative effects of all food items lasts twice as long, herbal tea is twice as potent and energy drinks are 50% more effective.
- Disarm: While the Face Meter is activated, Wei can disarm melee weapons by grappling or countering an enemy.
- Car Valet: A lackey will bring you your car, anytime, anywhere.
- Toughness: While the Face Meter is activated, Wei takes reduced damage from attacks.
- Extra Special Massages: Massages do 50% more to build your Face Meter up.
- Uninterruptible: While the Face Meter is activated, Wei’s attacks are uninterruptible.
- Everything Just Got Better: Regeneration from food lasts three times longer. Energy Drinks, Herbal Tea and Massages are twice as effective.
- Unstoppable: While the Face Meter is activated, Wei’s attacks do more damage, enemy class bonuses are disabled and Wei can Ground ‘n Pound.
- Dai Lo: 40% Discount when buying all cars and clothes.
The Face Meter is the yellow gauge on the right side of the mini-map. It is relevant to damages Wei can inflict. It is "cumulable" with Face Level damages increase. The more your shots/strikes hit the ennemy(ies) and are heavy, the more the Face Meter fills . And the more the Face Meter fills, the more damages Wei can deal with. Thus you may use the 'Dragon Kick' and 'Outfits' melee damage at your advantage for no-shooting and/or mixed fights.
When the Face Meter is fully loaded, you'll hear an implosion-like sound and the screen will buzz for a split second. From this time (and for a few seconds only) Wei will be able to inflict devastating damages, the Face Meter cooling down until it's empty.
However, the Face Meter will empty every time Wei is hit.